Memes occur at all levels of influence, naturally and by design, to wield power and spur change. We can also use the power of memes ourselves, personally and professionally, to design the life of our dreams, achieve work goals and move upward and outward to ‘be the change’ we seek in the world.
In their new book, Mind Chi, authors Richard Israel and Vanda North suggest a method of harnessing the explosive power of a meme in moving us from our present situation to our chosen professional goals. The meme acts as the proverbial stake in the ground which keeps us from wandering too far off. It also serves to attract all our thoughts and actions into alignment as we take actions and make choices on the way to achieving our goals. So the meme acts as both a lightning rod and conductor of all our thoughts and actions, gathering momentum like a rising tide to catapult us towards our desired outcomes.
To set up a Mind Chi Strategic Plan you need to include the following elements in your memes which are also available on http://happydaysblog.com/category/meme/:
- Your chosen goal and current reality in relation to that goal- as clear in your mind as possible by imagining through all your senses what it looks like, sounds like, feels like, tastes like and smells like
- Your transformational Mind Chi meme- a positive self-talk phrase that directs and aligns your thoughts in support of your goal
- Your current Mind Chi BEAT- acknowledgment of how you are currently functioning at levels of Body, Emotions, Actions and Thoughts in relation to your goal
- Your preferred Mind Chi BEAT- expression of how you want to feel at levels of Body, Emotions, Actions and Thoughts when your goal is achieved
- Action steps to move you from where you are to where you want to be, recognizing that some steps will become clearer as you move towards your goal
So if your goal were to ‘be an effective speaker’, and you assess your current situation to be that ‘my presentation skills are weak and I get nervous in large groups’ then you could set up a meme that says “I choose to improve my presentation skills and enjoy presenting.” You then analyze your Mind Chi BEAT for both your current situation and desired goal and set up action steps that move you towards your target, knowing that new steps will become evident as you get closer to your goal.
The underlying dynamic of the Mind Chi Plan is structural tension, where you practice ‘flexible focus’, noticing the discrepancy, distance, or tension between the way things are now and how you want them to be. You use the transformational power of the meme to keep you on track as you take action steps towards achieving your goal. While your goal remains fixed, although further clarity make arise as your get closer, your day to day BEAT will be changing. This is transformation in the works and can be applied to any goal, humble or audacious.
This process can be applied to multiple goals in your business and personal life. By capitalizing on the power of the meme you send strong messages to your subconscious to align with your chosen goal, which facilitates their manifestation. As you grow in ability to ‘work your meme’, you gain personal power that will spread to anywhere you are active. You then become what I refer to as a ‘Meme Beam’, causing transformation on ever-expanding levels of impact. You have become the change you seek in the world.